Swapping 3 high fat meals a week for 3 tasty, low fat, vegan alternatives can completely change the way you look and feel.
Okay, okay, here’s the thing, I’m not really vegan. I just love vegan food and it feels so much more adventurous. But yes, I’m an omnivore at heart. That said, a vegan diet can be fantastic for your body; with very rich nutritional value and very little in saturated fats, a vegan diet can be great for shutting out toxins and generally keeping your body on-beat.
However, I personally eat a hybrid diet consisting of lean meats (eg. turkey mince), and vegan dishes every few days. I feel like the combination of both lifestyles is a good way to maintain a healthy, nutritious and adventurous diet while having the freedom to eat what you want (well, within reason).
So here’s a question I hear every now and then, that I’d like to put to bed:
Can vegan meals really be as powerful and sustaining as non-vegan options?
THE ANSWER IS YES.
This article is dedicated to 3 of my favorite vegan dishes that will leave you feeling satisfied, charged and ready to take the bull by the horns. If you’re new to cooking, make sure you put some time aside to give these recipes the proper attention that they deserve, however 2 out of the 3 take less than 10 minutes to prepare!
Why you should start introducing these foods into your diet:
- By replacing what would usually be an unhealthy meal with one of these alternatives, you’ll be well on your way to losing weight, feeling better and having a healthier body.
- By combing meals like this with daily exercise you can completely transform how you look, how you feel and even how long you might live. It really is as simple as making small changes, like this, to your diet, to see life-changing results.
- As well as this good physical health and nutrition can positively influence your emotional development, meaning changing up your diet a little bit, with meals like this, could leave you feeling more happy and fulfilled (I’ll be going into this more in a later article).
Are they easy to make?
2 OF THESE DISHES TAKE LESS THAN 10 MINUTES TO PREPARE!!
Anyways, hopefully you’re sold on the idea of eating a few vegan dishes during the week, if you are, let’s crack on with the recipes!
1. VEGAN CACAO SUPER FOOD GRANOLA
This granola is absolutely delicious, and the perfect partner for a bowl of sliced fruit (even better when embellished with peanut butter). You’ll get 10 servings out of it, meaning this excellent recipe can make you a tasty lunch-time snack for over a week!
1 banana, mashed
2 tablespoons of nut butter (whichever you prefer)
1 tablespoon flax meal
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 ½ tablespoons cacao powder
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
1/4 cup mixed nuts and seeds (chia seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, etc.)
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups puffed rice
1. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper and preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C).
2. Grab a big mixing bowl and stick your mashed banana, maple syrup, nut butter, and flax meal in.
(Give it a right good stirring).
3. Now add your cacao powder and salt, give it a really good whisk.
4. Time to pop your nuts, seeds, oats and rice in, make sure they’re all mixed in properly and coated.
5. Back to the baking tray, spread everything out evenly across the pan.
6. Place of middle rack and bake for 45 minutes (until golden brown)
7. Stir every ten minutes.
8. Let it cool and go crunchy!
9. Enjoy your delicious granola, man!
Oh and keep it in an airtight container. Extra points if you have a nice jar for it.
Good stuff right?! Okay so onto the next one.
2. VEGAN SPINACH WRAPS
Oh man wait until you try these! Not only are these wraps incredibly tasty, but they’re also incredibly high in nutrients and vitamins. It’s an easy recipe to make too! It’ll only take you ten minutes for 3 wraps and you’ll be glad you made them as soon as you take that first bite!
So let’s get cracking!
350g fresh spinach
1 red pepper
1 red onion
1 clove of garlic
200g of cashew cheese/vegan cream cheese
cracked black pepper
1 ½ tbsp of lemon juice
3 tortilla wraps
Now for your 10 minute method…
1. Bring salted water to a boil in a big pot.
2. Cook the spinach until it turns bright green (around 1 minute)
3. Immediately scald in pre-prepared ice water (this stops the cooking process and locks your vitamins and minerals into place).
4. Squeeze your spinach well and give it a nice fine chop.
5. Wash and dice your pepper.
6. Peel onion and garlic and finely chop them.
7. Add them to your cashew cheese and give them a good stir.
8. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper, then add in your spinach and paprika cubes.
9. Heat up tortillas in a large pan with no oil very briefly.
10. Spread your filling on top, cut them in half, serve and enjoy!
Wham, bam, thank you mam, there’s how you make tasty vegan wraps in under ten minutes!
This next one is everyone’s absolute favorite for a tasty, vegan, lunch-time-treat…
3. VEGAN EDAMAME SPINACH HUMMUS
Even though I’ve never been entirely sure how to spell it, hummus (humus? Humous? Somebody please tell me…) with raw veggies or pita bread is an absolute go-to dish. This kind of hummus in particular is fantastic because we’ve added greens and extra protein from the edamame, making it another powerful lunch-time snack!
1 cup shelled edamame
1 cup fresh spinach (about 3oz)
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp agave nectar
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
Prepare for the easiest method ever…
1. Add everything into a blender.
3. Serve and enjoy!
Who knew it could be so easy to make great vegan dishes that are absolutely PACKED with nutrition and energy?! I absolutely love making food like this, it’s simple, tasty and really is such a healthy lunch option. Give it a go for yourself and see what you think.